The death of Dr. Abdulrahman bafdl because of a traffic accident       Mahmoud Abbas Gives Up on Peace       A)Putin: Claims Russian jets killed civilians in Syria emerged before airstrikes started       A)A Chinese aircraft carrier docks at Tartus to support Russian-Iranian military buildup       A) TALIBAN CAPTURES 2 DISTRICTS IN NORTH AFGHANISTAN       Defeating the extremists       ISIS LEADER ADMITS TO BEING FUNDED BY THE US       ALL REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES STAND FOR WAR       HALF OF AMERICANS BELIEVE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO BE “AN IMMEDIATE THREAT” TO FREEDOM       BREAKING: RUSSIAN MARINES BATTLE ISIS IN SYRIA    

 Home » News »
ANALYSIS Clash points up challenge
Cat : Israel and Zionism
Date : 2006-07-27 16:34:45                      Reader : 314
That is why Israel prefers war than dialogue. Israel bombards Lebanon and Palestine, not carring about Arab and Muslim regimes, as all are uncomparable with their limited arms and military power. So regimes have only to boycott Israel, and support resistance to fight Israel Nazism.
 
ANALYSIS Clash points up challenge
 
A deadly Hezbollah counterattack shows that the Islamic group is a daunting foe to Israel.
By DION NISSENBAUM
McClatchy Newspapers
 
 
 
LEFTERIS PITARAKIS | THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Minutes after an Israeli airstrike in Tyre, Lebanon, on Wednesday, a Lebanese Red Cross worker called for help at the site of a destroyed building. 
 
JERUSALEM | - The Israeli military on Wednesday suffered its heaviest losses so far in its two-week battle with Hezbollah militants in southern Lebanon.
 
Nine Israeli soldiers were killed in a counterattack by Hezbollah. The action underscored the challenge Israel faces in trying to remove the threat that the Islamic group poses to northern Israel.
 
As the crisis enters its third week, there is scant evidence that Israel’s air and ground attacks have crippled Hezbollah, and little reason to think an international force is going to do so. That means the Israelis must decide whether to step up the pressure on the militants or to accept something that falls short of disarming Hezbollah, analysts said.
 
After launching more than 2,000 airstrikes, Israel has sent thousands of soldiers into southern Lebanon to dislodge Hezbollah fighters and create a buffer zone. Doing so, however, could bog Israel down in fighting a longer and deadlier battle than its leaders anticipated, and risk driving more of the region’s Shiite Muslims into Hezbollah’s arms.
 
The risks of getting bogged down in Lebanon became clearer Wednesday when the nine Israeli soldiers were killed and 27 were wounded around the border town of Bint Jbail.
 
The confrontation in Lebanon already has claimed more than 450 lives, and with Israel bombing his country heavily every day, Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora made an impassioned appeal in Rome to leaders from 20 nations.
 
“What future, other than fear, frustration, ruin and fanaticism, can stem from the rubble?” Saniora said. “Is the value of a human life less in Lebanon than that of other citizens? Are we children of a lesser God?”
 
But ending the fighting with Hezbollah still in place would hand Islamic militancy a victory and probably set the stage for the next clash.
 
“If Hezbollah does not experience defeat in this war, that will spell the end of Israeli deterrence against its enemies,” military analyst Ze’ev Schiff wrote in the Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz after Wednesday’s attacks. “We did not choose this war, but we have reached a strategic crossroad.”
 
Military hawks see the clash as an opportunity to weaken Hezbollah, destabilize Iran, and back Syria into a corner.
 
“We are playing with fire anyway, and sometimes you have to take risks,” said Efraim Inbar, director of the Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies at Bar-Ilan University.
 
Turning up the heat on Hezbollah’s patrons, Syria and Iran, could virtually eliminate any chance of getting Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan to pressure Syria to sever its ties with Hezbollah and the Palestinian group Hamas, and even spark a regional war.
 
“The options are not very good,” said Moshe Ma’oz, a professor emeritus of Islamic and Middle Eastern studies at Hebrew University. “They are between bad and worse.”
 
Israel has reluctantly accepted the idea, but not the specifics, of an international force, and has sought to drive Hezbollah out of southern Lebanon in an effort to pave the way for foreign troops.
 
Israel sought to prevent, or at least delay, the ground operation to avoid being drawn back into what would be its third occupation of Lebanon. Six years ago, it pulled out of Lebanon after an unsuccessful 18-year campaign to rout the militant groups vying for power there.
 
Israel is trying to push Hezbollah out of at least a mile-deep swath of Lebanon. That might prevent border attacks, but it would do virtually nothing to prevent rocket attacks on Israel. It would increase the risk to Israeli soldiers, who would be forced to hold onto the territory.
 
The dangers of even a limited effort to fight Hezbollah hit home in Wednesday’s attack, which came one day after Israeli military officials claimed control of Bint Jbail and said the militants were on the run.
 
To avoid more casualties, Israel wants to see the international force step in. But many nations are reluctant to ask their soldiers to disarm Hezbollah and ensure that gunrunners don’t resupply the militants, as Israel is demanding.
 
“If there are no other options, Israel will stay there in the south in this security zone and this will be again a Lebanese quagmire,” said Nicolas Pelham, a senior analyst for the International Crisis Group’s Middle East project.
 
That could create a quandary for Israel, which could get out more quickly by accepting a modest peacekeeping mission that would stop short of disarming Hezbollah. Or it could call for a force capable of taking on the militants — a demand that could take weeks of negotiation and still end in failure.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Rice firm
 
ROME | World leaders gave in Wednesday to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and left a summit without calling for an immediate Mideast cease-fire.
 
After debate focused on words regarding the cessation of violence, summit participants accepted the U.S. position on the wording of a group statement. It called for “immediate work” toward an enduring cease-fire, rather than an “immediate cease-fire.”
 
Rice has insisted a quick cease-fire is a waste of time without deeper agreement on long-term issues, including the disarmament of Hezbollah, the Islamic group that has controlled southern Lebanon and used it as a base to attack Israel.
 

She acknowledged pressing the point Wednesday with United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan, and diplomats and ministers from 15 European and Arab governments


 
 
Home  |  News  |  Books  |  Files  |  Album  |  About Us  |  Contact Us
Copy Right Dialogue Yemen