The death of Dr. Abdulrahman bafdl because of a traffic accident       Mahmoud Abbas Gives Up on Peace       A)Putin: Claims Russian jets killed civilians in Syria emerged before airstrikes started       A)A Chinese aircraft carrier docks at Tartus to support Russian-Iranian military buildup       A) TALIBAN CAPTURES 2 DISTRICTS IN NORTH AFGHANISTAN       Defeating the extremists       ISIS LEADER ADMITS TO BEING FUNDED BY THE US       ALL REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES STAND FOR WAR       HALF OF AMERICANS BELIEVE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO BE “AN IMMEDIATE THREAT” TO FREEDOM       BREAKING: RUSSIAN MARINES BATTLE ISIS IN SYRIA    

 Home » News »
Fighting rages in S.Lebanon, 13 Israelis said killed
Cat : Nazism
Date : 2006-07-27 13:13:01                      Reader : 324
Those rude states , US / Israel as Lara Drake said must be strongly opposed by International community , otherwise they will continue their war to invade other countries in Middle East .

REUTERS 27/7/2006

Fighting rages in S.Lebanon, 13 Israelis said killed

 

 By Hussein Saad

Tire, Lebanon (Reuters) - Hizbollah guerrillas and advancing Israeli troops fought pitched battles at the entrance to a key town in south Lebanon on Wednesday and Arab television stations said up to 13 Israeli soldiers had been killed.

Lebanese security sources said fierce fighting broke out when an Israeli force controlling a nearby hill tried to advance to the main entrance of Bint Jbeil, a Hizbollah stronghold 4 km (2.5 miles) from the Israel-Lebanon border.

Guerrillas ambushed the advancing force and fighting at close quarters ensued. Hizbollah sources said the advancing force was cut off and most of its vehicles were destroyed and soldiers hit.

The Hizbollah sources estimated 35 casualties had been inflicted on the force and said Israeli attempts to evacuate casualties had been foiled. "Our men can hear the screams of their wounded calling for help," one source said.

Al Jazeera Television said 13 soldiers had been killed while Al Arabiya Television put the Israeli death toll at 12.

Such a toll would be the heaviest for Israel’s army since it launched an offensive against Hizbollah more than two weeks ago.

Israeli media said up to 25 soldiers had been wounded.

Israeli forces have been battling for days to take over Bint Jbeil since seizing the village of Maroun al-Ras, closer to the border, last week. Hizbollah later said it attacked a concentration of Israeli forces in the outskirts of Maroun al-Ras inflicting more Israeli casualties.

Israeli security sources estimate the number of Hizbollah dead up to Tuesday at more than 130. Hizbollah has so far acknowledged losing 28 fighters.

DANGEROUS NEST

Until the latest fighting, nine Israeli troops had been killed in the ground offensive inside southern Lebanon.

"We knew well that we are entering a dangerous nest and the nest needs to be taken care of slowly," Major Tzvika Golan, Israeli spokesman, told journalists near a convoy of armored vehicles parked by the road just inside Israel.

Asked how the army was progressing in Lebanon, Golan said: "Slowly, house by house, village by village. We are doing our best to take out all of Hizbollah."

As the fighting raged in Bint Jbeil, Israeli jets launched more than 50 strikes on targets across south Lebanon. Hizbollah fired more than 125 rockets into Israel, wounding dozens.

Senior Israeli officers have described Bint Jbeil as the main Hizbollah outpost in southern Lebanon, where Israel launched its Lebanese offensive after Hizbollah killed eight soldiers and abducted two others in a cross-border raid.

Taking Bint Jbeil would be a morale-booster for Israel but Hizbollah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said the aim of his fighters was to inflict Israeli casualties, not hold territory.

In a televised message broadcast early on Wednesday he said the guerrillas might not be able to stop Israeli forces from entering towns and villages as they were not a classic army.

"We fight guerrilla warfare ... the important thing is what losses we inflict on the Israeli enemy," he said, vowing his men would put up a fight wherever Israeli ground forces attack.

Clearing Bint Jbeil could also be part of Israel’s plan to establish a no-go zone for the guerrillas in southern Lebanon until an international force arrives to take over.

Israeli media and a political source said Israel would enforce a 2 km (1.2 mile) wide no-go zone in southern Lebanon against Hizbollah with artillery and air strikes to avoid stationing troops on the ground.

Defense Minister Amir Peretz said on Tuesday Israel would control a border security strip until a foreign force could deploy to take it over, but gave few details.

According to Israeli intelligence estimates, Hizbollah fighters are holed up in a network of tunnels and trenches around Shi’ite Muslim villages in southern Lebanon. Israel ordered civilians out of 14 of the villages over the weekend.


 
 
Home  |  News  |  Books  |  Files  |  Album  |  About Us  |  Contact Us
Copy Right Dialogue Yemen