It is a big crime to spoil reputation of suspects before being accused with evidence and proofs. We are sure such immoral behavior is only for Muslims in harmony with hidden agenda to damage picture of Islam and Muslims.
No evidence shows suspects took action in city, police say
By David Heinzmann and Rick Pearson
Tribune staff reporters
Published June 23, 2006, 11:23 PM CDT
While one of the Florida men arrested in an alleged plot to attack the Sears Tower previously lived in Chicago, Police Supt. Philip Cline said Friday no evidence has been recovered here.
"No arrests were made here, no search warrants were executed here … and no explosives were found here," Cline said.
Cline said authorities in Florida notified his department on Wednesday that the arrests would be made Thursday, and Chicago police officers assigned to the federal Joint Terrorism Task Force were working on the case since its inception.
Cline and other officials stressed there was no evidence the alleged plotters took any action in Chicago. They said they had no information that the men arrested had visited the Sears Tower to study it or make plans.
The plot "was never an actionable plan and, therefore, no one was in danger," said Andrew Velasquez, head of the city’s Office of Emergency Management and Communication.
Sears Tower officials thanked authorities, lauded their own private security force and stressed that the alleged plot should have no impact on business at the 110-story building on South Wacker Drive.
"It’s business as usual at the Sears Tower. Our tenants are in their offices as they usually are; our Skydeck is open for business," said John Huston, executive vice president with Skokie-based American Landmark Properties Ltd., which co-owns the 110-story building.
Officials said the arrests had not changed the city’s strategies to stop terrorist attacks. Special units dedicated to terrorism are always working on keeping the city safe, Cline said.
Cline said the city remains vigilant about protecting other potential targets in Chicago, such as the upcoming Taste of Chicago.
On Friday afternoon, Gov. Rod Blagojevich encouraged Illinois residents to keep any potential threats in perspective. "Go about your business, have a great weekend, enjoy the time you have with your family, go to work and be as determined as possible to do a good job at your job," Blagojevich said.